Friday, November 23, 2012

Gone Fishing

Obvious that I've dropped off the radar.   Things coming to a crashing thud.   More, I just don't care about "art" anymore.   This article that I ran across today encapsulates my feelings of sorts, Occupy Art.

The thing is, I will continue to make things but these things will not go out into the art world or market because frankly, I don't care to participate in a circus that degrades something that I hold as an important personal practice.   Since it will not be seen, it will not participate in a larger dialogue of art, the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear the sound.   

And I am not saddened or upset about this as I once might have been.  Just another stage of life and life is too short to spend chasing dreams that revolve around being accepted and having work collected by people that I have nothing but disgust and contempt for, not that anyone is banging down the door by any means but...

My studio building was flooded by Sandy and closed for over three weeks, during the night of the storm I had a dream of the studio burning down and losing over 20 years of work.  I awoke after the dream and felt a relief to have it gone, done and over and then realized it was nothing but a dream.

There is something liberating and freeing in all of this.  The things I am making having nothing to do with art and the critical, historical values that played a part of my mindset and dialogue are in the dust heap also.  

I cannot explain the feeling that came over me this summer but it was final.  It might upset a few of my closer friends but I cannot and do not want to discuss art ever again.   Art is dead.


1 comment:

  1. Arts is all around us. All the simple things surrounding us can belong to this very category. My main argument is university libraries which are so gorgeously looking that it is impossible not to admit this.

    ReplyDelete